October is breast cancer awareness month, it's estimated that 1/8 women will develop breast cancer in their life time. There are some situations that we have little control over, women can be genetically predisposed and we are unable to protect ourselves from all the environmental toxins out there.
What we can do to help prevent breast cancer is regular breast massage, whether it's self massage or with a partner. The more positive and loving attention your boobs get, the better it is for their health!
Researchers in California found that malignant breast cells that were compressed and squeezed stopped growing. The untouched cells continued to grow uncontrollably in a way that leads to cancer.
Breasts are glandular organs made of fatty tissue and a network of lymphatic vessels that connect to the lymph nodes in the arm pits and at the base of the neck. They can become sensitive and painful at different stages of the mensural cycle, typically at ovulation, pre-period and during a period. When they become heavy or larger, it’s usually a sign of fluid congestion.
Breast massage helps move lymph fluid and encourages the elimination of toxins as well improve blood flow. It also has the added bonus of firming up your breasts making you a little more perky!
This daily or weekly routine is recommended...
It can be done lying on your back or in an upright position, possibly after a shower:
1. Start with putting a small amount of oil on your hands: coconut or jojoba oils are good.
2. Then with your hands, cup the bottom of each breast, gently lifting them upwards and moving the hands around the entire breast in a circular motion, outwards and back towards midline for 10 circles.
3. Then open your armpit by lifting your right or left arm out to the side about 60 degrees. With the opposite hand starting at the bottom of the breast, gently move the hand in a sweeping motion over the entire breast and into the armpit, imaging that you are moving fluid from the breast into the armpit. Do this 5 times on each side.
4. Gently place your finger pads into your armpit and with your thumb make circular clockwise movements kneading the pectoralis muscle, it may feel tight and ropey from sitting at your desk all day. You can do this for 10-20 seconds.
5. If you have time and it’s the end of the day, finish with a gentle chest opener or stretch. Lying on your back with arms stretched out like a T and knees bent, slowly roll your knees from side to side. You can also move the head in the opposite direction of your knees. Do this 10 times.
6. Finish with drinking a glass of filtered water to help flush out the toxins.
Also wear a properly fitted bra, wireless is better, when you get home take it off and let the girls out!
Be mindful of what you are putting on your skin and what deodorants you are using. Please do not use a deodorant if you see aluminum on the label.
Don't forget, always be kind to yourself, especially during your boob rub! :)