October is breast cancer awareness month, and it's estimated that 1/8 women will develop breast cancer in their life time. There are some situations that we have little control over, women can be genetically predisposed, and we are unable to hide from all the environmental toxins out there.
What we can do to help prevent breast cancer, is regular breast massage, whether it's self massage, or with a partner, the more positive and loving attention your boobs get, the better it is for their health!
Researchers in California found that malignant breast cells that were compressed and squeezed, stopped growing. The untouched cells continued to grow uncontrollably in a way that leads to cancer.
Breasts are glandular organs made of fatty tissue, and a network of lymphatic vessels that connect to lymph nodes in the arm pit and lower neck. They can become sensitive and painful at different stages of the mensural cycle, typically at ovulation, pre-period and during your period. When they become heavy and larger in size, it’s a sign of fluid congestion.
Breast massage will help move lymph fluid and encourage the elimination of toxins, while improving oxygenated blood flow. It also has the added bonus of firming up your boobs, making you just a little more perky!
Try this daily or weekly routine...
It can be practiced lying on your back or in an upright position, after a shower is a great time!
1. Start with rubbing a small amount of coconut oil onto the palm of your hands.
2. Use your hands to cup the bottom of each breast, gently lifting them upwards, and moving your hands around the entire breast in an outward circular motion, repeat for 10 circles.
3. Then open your armpit, lifting your arm about 60 degrees. With the opposite hand, gently sweep your over the entire breast, moving fluid out and into the armpit, repeat 5 times on each side.
4. Place your finger pads into your armpit, use your thumb to make circular clockwise movements, kneading the pectoralis muscle, this may feel tight and ropey from spending hours in front of a computer. Massage for 30 seconds on each side.
5. If you have time, finish with a gentle chest opener on the lying on the floor, using a yoga block in-between your shoulder blades, and arms stretched into a “T ” shape. Breath into the opened chest space for 5-10 breaths.
6. Finish with drinking a glass of filtered water to flush the toxins.
7. Wear a properly fitted bra, wireless is best! When you get home, take it off and let the girls out.
8. Be mindful of what you put on your skin, no deodorants with aluminum on the label.
9. Don't forget, always be kind to yourself, especially during your boob rub! :)